Sunday, April 09, 2006

ALL IN A NAME

Nintendo recently announced the official name of their next generation of console. Up to this point, it has been known as “The Revolution.” That, however, was a codename only., a placeholder until they came up with the real name. That real name is “The Wii” (pronounced “we”).

As you might have guessed, this name has caused a lot of discussion and more than a little name calling. Actually, the word “discussions” implies civility, which is a concept the internet struggles with. So in the interest of keeping this PG, and not exposing my poor readers to language that would challenge a pirate, I’ll restrict my links to those few pockets of the internet that DO practice civility. Here’s someone who hates the name “Wii.” Here is someone who does not hate the name “Wii” (finding someone who admits to liking it is a little harder). Thanks to Slashdot for pointing me to these in the first place.

The official announcement, which I recommend you take a look at, shows a flash animation and is accompanied by text that describes what the name means.

One of the negative responses to that intro (which appears on the page I linked above) claims “anytime a company starts explaining their brand name, it’s a bad sign.” Other naysayers have similar comments.

Eh, that’s an easy argument to make, and it sounds good, but meaning that must be explained should not be so easily dismissed.

I should probably pause here and admit that I have no marketing experience or training so I’m not “professionally” qualified to comment on this. Fortunately for me, this is the internet and those sorts of “credentials” are not required here.

Nintendo is trying to turn Wii into a symbol, to use a simple form to express a complex concept. Unfortunately for them there is no symbol for "innovative social games that even nongamers will enjoy using a totally new kind of controller and please do not think of this in the same category as any other game system this is something completely different" which is what they are trying to convey. So they had to make their own symbol: The Wii. In order for a new symbol to become a symbol, it has to first be explained. How many people could have told you Nike was the Greek goddess of victory BEFORE the sneakers came out?

It’s kind of a hard name to like at first glance. It is, however, the name. No matter how much the internet whines, this machine IS going to be called The Wii. And Nintendo has its reasons, many of which they have told us (including the fact that it’s a name both Americans and Japanese can pronounce). I’m okay with those reasons. Eventually, I’m pretty sure the name won’t sound strange anymore. The system, from what I’ve heard so far, has enough appeal for me that I plan to get one no matter what they call it.



[Note: The actual announcement was the last week in April. This entry was added later and backdated – see 5/16 entry for the reasons]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, that super long and annoyingly hyphenated word screwed up the formatting on your pages. I would suggest changing it to something a bit less verbose or possibly changing its present form.

Second, I totally agree that ‘Wii’, as compared to the previous ‘Revolution’, sounds at best inane and at worst totally freaking retarded. However, given proper time to become accustomed, it seems that the gaming community has begun to accept the name…or at least learned to not speak of it with such distaste.

Personally, I think the Wii is one of the most interesting things to come out for the home console since the original Nintendo. Priced between $150-$200 (I am reasonably certain), the Wii costs half that of either the Xbox or the PS3. Nintendo isn’t going for flashy graphics, like Sony or MS, but rather innovation and accessibility in gaming, which is demonstrated by their rather unique ‘Wiimote’ controller design.

Not to mention that if I wanted to spend $500-$600 on something that only plays games, I would upgrade my computer for the same price and have a significantly more flexible machine which would possess all the functionality of a console with none of the drawbacks. Since many of the most exciting new games coming out are designed for the computer and ported to home consoles, you really aren’t missing out on much.

-J

Rob said...

Okay, fixed the hyphenated word problems. Thanks for pointing that out.

And I agree with you on the Wii. I'm working up to writing a whole blog just on why I'm excited and even people who don't play video games should consider getting excited too.