Friday, March 25, 2005

ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN

Who remembers "3-2-1 Contact"? I used to watch it when I came home from school (Forest Ave. Elementary to be specific) while waiting for Mom to cook dinner. If I remember correctly, it came on after "Reading Rainbow". It was part of my allotted hour of TV watching before the local PBS replaced it with "Square 1 TV," also an excellent show that amused and educated me for many episodes. Those shows are perhaps a good topic for later discussion, but today I'm just interested in a specific piece of a specific episode: when Paco went to Space Camp. I was fascinated and decided that someday I, too, would go to Space Camp.

And I did, Christmas break my sophomore year of high school I attended Space Academy Level II in Huntsville, Alabama (I was by then too old for the actual Space Camp but this was the same thing, albeit a little more thorough). My brother also went (Level I) and we both had a good time. It was, I think, the first time we had flown anywhere by ourselves. It was significant for other reasons, though - "Go to Space Camp" had been on my mental list of things-to-do-someday for a long time. It was, I think, one of the first concrete realizations I had that things could actually come OFF that list. It was a goal that had always (when I thought of it) felt whimsical and unreal. "Wouldn't it be nice if..." became "Look what I did..." and it was every bit as fun as I had hoped (it's been a long time since I've even tried to deny my geek nature).

It's an odd feeling, approaching the Reality version of something that's long been in Daydream status. It's fun but I tend to let things sit in Daydream status too long. I need periodic reminders to check my Someday List for those eureka moments of "Hey, I can actually accomplish this!"

Dave Hauver provided the most recent reminder. At the end of this month, he will be setting out on the Appalachian Trail with the intention of walking its entire length from Georgia to Mt. Katadin in Maine. It's something he's wanted to do for some time and now, he's actually doing it. Go Dave. It's quite a leap. He has also, while we're at it, had dreams of documentaries bouncing around in his head for some time. He's addressing that, too, by carrying a camera with him as he hikes. I'm sure we'll get some very interesting footage from Mr. Hauver. I look forward to it. For those of you who want to follow along in his adventure, he has a trail journal set up already. You can find it here (and I'll put a link in my sidebar). Check it out. And applaud Dave for taking this leap, for checking this item off his Someday list.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I have a novel to write.

No comments: