Monday, January 31, 2005

SPEAK UP

Alert Reader "S" recently posted this comment to my Odds and Ends entry:

Well said Rob and my sentiments exactly. There have been a few times that I have not understood the connection Jamie's comments make to your blog article (or for that matter understood his comment.) That being said, however, I applaud Jamie in providing to you comments. He is the only one I have seen make comments, for it's an indication that people are reading your blogs. Hopefully the number of people writing comments is not indicative of the number of people reading them. It's a shame more people aren't writing comments and showing you they are informed about your writing. I find your blogs amusing, informative and a great learning experience. Well, "great" may be a little too strong a word. But I do learn new words when I read the blogs. I never new there was such a word as glitterati so I went to Webster's on-line dictionary and lo and behold, there it was. However, when I went to the Questeria Online Library, I could not find the origins of the word. Can you help me out, do you know the origins of glitterati?

S

Well, S, if that is your real name, you bring up several excellent points (and no, excellent is not too strong a word). First, Jamie deserves to be mocked. He just does. Second, he also deserves praise. It sort of twists the mind a bit to owe both praise and mockery at once - although a good back-handed compliment might serve both ends: "Jamie is much cooler once you get to know him." I think I'll leave it at that for now.

The points I would like to address are the comments and "glitterati." I'll start with comments. Thanks for noticing and posting (that goes for Jamie, too). I do read them and I do appreciate them. Same goes for the comments on Leaves. I don't necessarily think everyone else should be ashamed of not commenting, though, maybe just a little chagrined. If you see something worth remarking upon, do so, if not eh, I'll keep talking to a silent audience just as much as to a responsive one. I like praise (thank you for that, S), I appreciate criticism (really), but I'm also fond of the sound of my own voice and don't need much more than that to keep me going (your call as to whether that's a strength or a fault).

And now, "Glitterati"
Unfortunately S, I do not know the history of the word. I know what it means and how to use it, but I don't know who coined it or when. The gist, for those of you who did not look it up, is that it's a combination of Glitter and Literati. "Literati" is a term used to apply to the intellectual elite. Glitterati refers to the glittering elite. Not the well read so much as the well seen. Also referred to as the jet-set crowd. The earliest uses seem to have occurred in the 1950's (The Online Etymology Dictionary claims 1956, but does not provide any further information) and for some reason several entries quoted the following line: “private parties on Park Avenue and Central Park West, where the literati mingled with glitterati” (Skylines). I don't know where or when that came from (or even what Skylines is). So I'm really not all that helpful.

I'm adding your references to my bookmarks. At the moment, when I do my research, I tend to start with the Wikipedia. It's an encyclopedia based on the idea that anyone can edit a page, and anyone can undo another person's edits. Well, that's the extremely simplified version anyway. Sounds ripe for chaos and trouble, but the collaboration proves more effective and is hijacked less often than one would initially expect. It's a fascinating idea and maybe I'll write about it on its own someday. For now, the important thing (relatively speaking) is that the wikipedia, like many web sources, can be suspect at times, but is usually an excellent informal source of information. Except in this case, where it really wasn't all that useful. Although I did learn that "glitterati" is a portmanteau and that a "portmanteau" is a word made from combining two or more words. So there's that at least...

I apologize for not being able to fully answer your question, but I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe next time I'm bored I'll spend some serious time tracking this down and will write my own entry for the wikipedia (posted here first, of course). In the meantime if anyone else knows where the word Glitterati originated, or a good reference site that does, let the rest of us know. . . put it in a comment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, do you think 'glitterati' has anything to do with the Illuminati? If so, I would like to know how Rob REALLY came across the word...anything you aren't sharing with us?

If I were to guess, Skylines was either an in-flight magazine for TWA or a section in 'Highlights'...but don't hold me to that. (Remember being sick as a child in the doctor's office and reading Highlights? That is about the only place I have ever seen instances of the magazine...which leads me to believe that the creators of Highlights are actually evil pharmaceutical exec's preying on the weak immune system of our nation's youth).

As per why I indulge in these long-winded additions to Rob's entries, I like leading by example. I figure if I can get at least ONE other person to comment, then I have done my job. Of course, my job would be made easier if people actually READ this blog, but I think I am just being picky. Oh! Also, I like expressing my opinion...regardless of whether or not it has been solicited.

One more thing, I realize that very few of Rob's (imaginary) readers saw the movie 'Shaun of the Dead' (of which you all should be very, very ashamed), but the writer/actor who did that movie also created and starred in a TV show a called 'Spaced'. Unfortunately at this time, the DVD's can only be purchased with region encoded for the UK. However, if you are reading this post, then you have access to the internet...and if that is the case, then you can dowload them off whatever file-sharing service you prefer (Shareaza is my personal choice, but results may vary). Either way, it is only 2 seasons long and about 7 episodes each season (UK TV shows have much sorter seasons than those in the US), so it won't take you too long to get them all. I give you my personal guarantee that your time watching them will not be ill spent.

-J

PS: Here is a quote which I think you would enjoy. It is taken from the tragically canceled 'Father of the Pride':

"Making it across the desert at night takes cunning and guile...qualities god has withheld from you to an almost cruel degree"
- Sarmoti

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I have noticed that Rob has taken an interest in branding and writing things that look the same upside down. I don't want to cry out ILLUMANTUS, but make your own conclusions. (Rob once you read Angles and Demons this will make a whole lot more sense).

Jamie, do you have your own blog? I think once you write comments that are say greater than 50% of the length of the original post routinely on another's blog...you might think about gettting your own blog. I agree with Rob that your comments are a good thing (you can say you got two people to comment to Rob's blog), but I think you have enough words in you to BOTH comment and write your own.

I have nothing to add the central premise of the post...other than to say I must admit I hadn't heard of the word glitterati, and Rob if you add your blog to DC blog map and keep posting frequently you will pick up more readers.

-Mike "not afraid to spell out his first name"

Anonymous said...

As an interesting tidbit, I was reading through this month's Car & Driver and noticed that contained in one of the editorials was the word 'glitterati'.

"While the blue-state glitterati sneer at us 'WMP' and their pickup trucks and SUVs, the nation rumbles ahead in total disregard, purchasing bigger, stronger, faster motor vehicles at an ever-accelerating rate."

(WMP, by the way, means 'Wal-Mart People)

The editorial was done by Brock Yates and is a comment on the progress of fuel cell technology and the tree-hugging hippies in our country. Yates is one of the older writers for the magazine and was one of the creators of the original Cannonball races that took place way back when (you may have seen the Burt Reynolds movies that it spawned).

Anywho, I offer this as another source to Rob's discovery of the word. Also, I find it's a compelling counterpoint to my original suggestion.

-J

Anonymous said...

Just as a side note, if you look up glitterati at www.ask.com then your first result will be something to the effect of "Buy all the glitterati you need at ebay.com" Which amused me because, well, I don't need any glitterati and even if i did, how would you sell it to me?