Monday, December 24, 2007

Something New to Talk About

Tis the season for traveling. The Atlanta-to-Connecticut trip is a doozy. Fortunately, I have some good friends near DC to help me break it up into two smaller bits. Not small, but at least smaller. The weather was good for my journey north and the first leg at least was swift and smooth. I made good time.

Bruce and Colleen proved gracious and pleasant hosts, offering lots of opportunities to play Halo. Also there was good beer (to be expected in Bruce's house) and a new (to me) lunch place. It turns out I really like fried oysters. Good to know. They even staged a local sporting event for my entertainment!

The second leg of the journey north was less pleasant, including two significant traffic jams (one at each end). I made it in one piece, though, with only mild frustration damage to my psyche.

The return trip should be better. For one thing, Sarah will be with me. Actually, that's the only thing that's certain to be more pleasant about the trip. I was lucky with the weather on the way north, but there are threats of snow and ice ahead. Traffic should be heavier, but hopefully there will be no construction to worry about. The real question, though, is the Diehls. They are taking on the mantle of hosts for our midpoint stopover. Will they be able to live up to the standards set by the Showalters? It's a lot to ask of them. The Diehls have a real opportunity here to step up and excel, but we'll have to wait and see how it turns out. It's a lot of pressure, I won't lie, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

No comments: