Sunday, February 05, 2006

HOT AND COLD

DC Winter is a tease. I've met several other members of the Winter family and they're generally a pretty straightforward bunch. New England Winter, for example, is very serious about his job. New York Winter is very like his brother. When either of them visits, you know you're dealing with a Winter. Florida Winter, on the other hand, married into the Winters from the Spring family. She never really took to the Winters' way of doing things and has never claimed otherwise. She's not really a Winter, but she's honest about it.

DC Winter, though, is something else entirely. She's all hot and cold and completely unpredictable. It's enough to get a fellow into quite a tizzy. For instance, all last week the temperature outside was in the thirties, so I planned a snowboarding trip for this week. Ha. As soon as I did that, the temperature jumped thirty degrees. It was in the sixties this weekend. Fortunately for me, DC Winter relented and dropped back to the mid forties by the time the day of my trip rolled around, so we were able to spend some time together, even if she was rather lukewarm about it.

December was cold, DC Winter promised me then we'd see a lot of each other. Since then, however, I've had to cancel two snowboarding trips due to warm weather and one other trip was seriously threatened by it. That one, though, turned bitter cold at the last minute, well after I had packed for it, leaving me shivering on the slopes while DC Winter laughed at me.

I'm telling you she's a tease and a flirt and trouble all around. I like the Winters, I really do. I always enjoy my visits with New England and New York. I'm looking forward to the week I'll be spending with Colorado Winter, but DC Winter is exasperating.

3 comments:

Mike D said...

Speaking from personal experience, Colorado winter isn't too different from what you're experiencing in DC. Of course I'm speaking of Denver winter, Colorado mountain winter is much more consistent:

Denver High Temps this week: 55, 62, 42, 46

Breckenridge High Temps this week: 36, 39, 32, 30

Rob said...

I think she heard me (DC Winter that is), and she might be mad at me. There's eight inches of snow outside my door and it's still snowing. (Too bad it's going to be at least a week until I can go snowboarding again).

Anonymous said...

You could always move back to New England...